Friday, February 12, 2010

Pumpernickel sans le pumpernickel

I suffer from Celiac Disease which means I cannot eat gluten.  Gluten is found in wheat, rye, spelt, kamut, oats, barley, and bulgur.  So I can't eat your run of the mill bread.  I can buy gluten free bread which can be made from a variety of flours like rice, sorghum, fava bean, chickpea, soya, potato, tapioca, arrowroot, millet and teff flours.  Who knew you could make flour out of fava beans!  Now the store gluten free bread is very expensive and doesn't taste very good so I make my own.  The pic above is of my version of pumpernickel bread made from fava bean, chickpea, potato and tapioca flours.  It is quite tasty and high in protein.  This bread is so tasty you can eat it just plain, no butter no jam. 

1 comment:

Aline said...

It looks yum! ...and hopefully very soon the word *suffer* will be a thing of the past...Love A. xx